Monday, September 21, 2015

Transfers and new friends! Sept. 21, 2015

Dear Mom!
We did hear about transfers this last Saturday, and after 7 and a half months in this lovely place called Hodogaya, I'll be transferring to Kamakura, home of the giant Buddha statue! Check it out online;It's pretty big and Japanese! Actually, our ward and Eikaiwa went there for a trip my first transfer here so not a first, but still a first for living there! My companion is Elder P  from  Utah, which is right next to Spanish Fork and although asked, it seems that he doesn't know the Anderson's, sorry! 
Care package......black shoe polish would be fantastic! I would love to have some thoughts and testimonies from everyone that I can share with people or put into Books of Mormon. I think that should be all from me though!
There are usually one or two missionaries in each area who are there for over 6 months, which provides a nice foundation of trust in both the ward, at English class, and with investigators and experience for the younger missionaries. It was a little strange being that missionary for the first time in my mission, and I feel like I may have gotten a little power hungry  and a little cocky by the end. By cocky, I mean assuming that I need to take the lead in everything and be the first one to answer, volunteer to do something, or assign something to be done. 
I seem to spend so much of my time looking up to incredible people and dreaming of the moment when I can be that great, that when I finally am in that position of leadership, I expect everyone to look up to me in the same way that I did. As I've thought about the person I want to become, I don't want to be a solitary leader who does everything on his own, no matter how skilled or intelligent I am. To be honest, it's lonely and only leads to conflict with those around you and overconfidence in yourself. There is a reason why there are so many councils in this church and no solitary leaders. The only person who has the right to solitary leadership is God. No normal human should ever think himself as more important than another, but as a fellow imperfect brother or sister. Once we realize this than we can all learn to rely on the one person who gave everything, his life, his blood, his whole being, so that we could overcome our weaknesses, and that person is Jesus Christ. We all need saving, and no one is excluded.
Mom, I just want you to know that what you did for that girl is literally the thing I most aspire to emulate! To all the people who receive this email, please never forget the people around you. Take the time to make someone's day. If you're busy, I understand. Maybe it's only that one person on the bus to work or in the lunch line, but I promise you that it's THOSE actions, those Christ-like actions that make this world a better place. I promise that if we take that little effort without fear, we will notice that when we lift our hands and serve, God truly does bless us as well.

On the invitation of Elder A's father, we had an elder's lunch at a steak restaurant called Hungry Tiger. For those of you who don't know, today was a holiday in Japan called 敬老の日 or respect the elderly day. At this restaurant, we took our orders and began to talk amongst each other. When the waiter came back, I asked him whom he was specifically honoring for this holiday. He replied that there was a server who had worked there for 48 years and that everyone was honoring him today. I asked the waiter if he could invite that man over so I could say thank you in person, and he agreed. Mr. Oi was one of the kindest people you could ever meet! He let us take a picture, and I bet he came back about 5 times after that to say thank you, give us some chocolate, and then say thank you again. We told him we were missionaries, and that he was a truly special person! I have no idea what happened after that, but I am grateful for little miracles and people that God places in our life. 
Good luck at Homecoming Bennett! Be a gentlemen and a stud! 
You're going to to amazing playing at halftime Aaron! Play some Kenny G too( I know he's not the best, but I like him!)
Love you all,
Elder Christensen

Also, this is  friend Andy came to church with his mother and sister yesterday! He is planning on getting baptized before going to Las Vegas for boxing next week! Do we know anyone their who he can meet and go to church with? Keep him in your prayers!


No comments:

Post a Comment