Monday, November 2, 2015

e-mail from November 2, 2015

Dear Mom, I got the package! The Halloween decorations are quite
snazzy so thank you! We actually gave the bat stickers to a potential
investigator who lives near us, and he and his wife were surprised but
accepting of the gift. They also gave us cake in return. He knows a
decent amount of English, but he isn't quite as good as I think he
believes he is so we have tried to encourage him to speak Japanese not
English (which definitely wouldn't have happened when I was a new
missionary!)

Bennett, how do you feel now that your eagle project has been
accepted? I've actually been surprised at how crucial being an Eagle
Scout has been on my mission. In those first few moments of speaking
with people, trust is very important. Whenever I get a chance to share
that I'm a Boy Scout, I've noticed that people noticeably open up to
me and my companion.
After all, a scout is supposed to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful,
friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean,
and reverent. These are some pretty amazing qualities that you have
Bennett, and they will help you go far! Being a Boy Scout is one of
the best ways to learn what it means to be a "real man", and you
probably noticed that being super buff or really hairy isn't part of
the scout law. The content of your character, the measure of your
heart, is what qualifies you to be a scout.
The qualifications for missionary service aren't that much different!
Doctrine and Covenants 4 states,"And faith, hope, charity, and love,
with an eye single to the glory of God qualify him for the work.
Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly
kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence."

First of all, transfer calls have come once again! I will be staying
K for another 6 weeks and getting Elder B from my MTC
district as a companion. Also, after a one transfer break I was asked
by President W to become the District Leader here in K, and
after being invited to attend the Mission Leadership Conference in
K with the Zone Leaders from F, I felt the enormous
amount of trust that was being placed in me to represent the Lord and
President W in directing missionary work in K. Actually, the
feeling of attending the leadership conference was very similar to
being called up from the B team to play with the A team on my Rush
soccer team. I was surrounded by some pretty incredibly talented and
gifted people who had been working together as leaders for months with
President W at the head. Granted, we're all still 19,20,21,22 year

old youth, but anyone who was in that room would have felt the Spirit
very strongly. I pray that I can have the humility and the love to see
what the Lord sees in K
​ ​
 and in the missionaries here and not to
rely on my own vision.
 We are gathered as an army to stand for truth, to stand for virtue,
and goodness, and in doing good to all men, and while we may not be
perfect, I promise you that you would be hard pressed to find a group
with this strong of a desire to do good.

Hurrah for Israel! Love you all!
Your son, brother, and friend,
Elder Christensen


No comments:

Post a Comment